Kinga Jakabffy aka Kingas Grapes (*1988, Bad Ischl) is an Austrian-Hungarian award-winning Painter. Kinga’s portraits of nude women, non-binary and trans people in self-aware poses are her attempt of raising attention to the fight for equal rights. The colour blocks represent pieces of bodies and personalities that have always been in the centre of the male gaze and thus had to correspond to certain roles expected of them. The figures are captured in an inflexible structure and still manage to be free.
Kinga‘s paintings echo a Mediterranean vibe, which unveils the softness and vulnerability, but also power of a person’s identity under the everyday mask. She is currently represented by the Viennese gallery Kunst ab Hinterhof. Her autodidact artistic career and exhibitions of her work have been covered in multiple Austrian newspapers and international magazines. Kinga holds a master‘s degree in communication science and has a decade long experience in advertising. After studies and work in Sevilla, Montreal and Budapest, she now lives and works in Vienna.
Kinga’s portraits of nude women in self-aware poses are her attempt of raising attention to the hard work women have to put into gaining equal rights. The colour blocks represent pieces of female bodies that have always been the centre of the male gaze and thus had to correspond to certain roles expected of her. Her paintings echo a Mediterranean vibe, which unveils the softness and vulnerability, but also power, of a person’s identity under the everyday mask. In her paintings, Kinga likes to display the rare moment of true connection between humans when all superficial masks are dismissed.
As femicides worldwide are rising and millions of women still do not have the freedom of right to decide over their own bodies, Kinga’s paintings raise questions of sexual ownership and female empowerment in general. As a queer artist to an immigrant family, Kinga also deals with the on-going challenges of the LGBTQ+ community in her work.
Kingas often summery-paradise-like settings aim to show nature’s abundance that humanity continuously fails to protect. By portraying a flawless, beautiful status quo, her work captures the helplessness on an individual level to fight climate change. It is the display of a holiday setting, a bubble so to say, a frozen moment of hot summery days that give the most wonderful memories to an individual, whereas at the same time the heat is burning up the planet in an unprecedented speed. Her landscape paintings don’t include any signs of human activities, thus capturing life during the several lockdowns due to Covid-19.
07. - 12. Sept. 2021 Parallel Art Fair, curated by Kunst ab Hinterhof, Vienna
25. - 29. May 2021 Support your local girl gang, Ausstellungsraum, Vienna
06. - 30. May 2021 Hoffnung. Group exhibition curated by Einflussraum, Vienna
08. Oct. – 31. January 2021 Nach wie vor. Group exhibition curated by Kunst ab Hinterhof, Orpheum, Graz
22. - 27.Sept. 2020 Parallel Art Fair, curated by Kunst ab Hinterhof, Vienna
23.-24. July 2020 Oxymoron Galerie, Lindengasse 65, 1070 Wien
15. May – 15. June 2020 Alone. Not Lonely. Group Exhibition, Einflussraum, Vienna
26. Apr. 2020 Junge Kunst Vol. Online Pt 04, Group Exhibition, Instagram
11. Oct. – 30. Oct. 2019 Wasserspiegel. Solo Show kuratiert von Junge Kunst, Süsswasser, Vienna
23. Mar. – 18 May 2019 Miniscule, Group Show, Crosslane Projects Kendal UK
8. Mar. 2019 Fundraiser Event Changes for Women by Improper Walls, Vienna
1. Feb. 2019 Art Attech, Group Show, The Loft, Vienna
20. Oct. – 6. Dec. 2018 Junge Kunst Vol 8.0, St. Art & Damani Vienna
17. Nov. 2018 Junge Kunst Markt, Damani Vienna
04. Sept. 2018 Creative Prism No. 4., Angewandte Innovation Lab, Vienna
26. - 29. Jun. 2018 Open Studio, Solo Show, 1090 Vienna
14. Feb. – 02. Mar. 2018 Clitical Talk RRRiot Festival, Improper Walls Vienna
03.-17. Nov. 2018 Wanderlust Solo Exhibition. Thompson’s, AT, 2018
Oct. 2019 Kronenzeitung, Info Solo Show Wasserspiegel
PUBLISHING & SPEAKING
July 2019 Medium.com How do artists think? — An insight into the process of painting an artwork
July 2019 Medium.com How to be creative?
April 2019 Medium.com How I figured out a creative routine
April 2019 Medium.com My first year as a full time artist
Oct. 2018 Co-Hosting “1st Game of Creativity” Championship
Sept. 2018 Speaker @ Creative Prism No. 4.
Campaign: Da passiert was.
Client: Österreichische Galerie Belvedere
Idea & Concept: Kinga Jakabffy
Photographer: Stefan Draschan